Thursday 4 December 2008

Tofu and Vegan 'cheese'

I think I've finally sussed out how to make tofu not taste of rubber - freeze it!
I made some Marmite and soy sauce marinated tofu steaks with brown rice the other day and they were actually really nice. I froze it, and then defrosted it after reading that it gives a more 'meaty' texture - and it does! It was so much nicer, and didn't make my stomach feel like it was going to explode, which it normally does..... a result! weyhey!

Going back to a previous post about vegan 'cheese' I finally tried Redwood's melting Mozzarella which isn't bad at all. First I made pizza with it, which 'worked'... they weren't fantastic, and didn't feel have the same feel as cheese, but it was a pretty good substitute.... but then I grated some over noodles (the 8p instant kind) and that was pretty awesome. Gave that lovely gooey texture... but without the disgusting orange fatty slime that you get from 'proper' cheese.... so another result! weyhey!

Happy December by the way! I'm not looking forward to Christmas all that much because half of my family are going to Spain but still - I thought I'd get slightly festive and I've been making 'wintery' biscuits... Oats and vegan butter with ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and lots of sugar. Yum. I'm going to attempt to make some 100% from scratch vegan mince pies closer to the time, too.... another ploy to convince the rest of my meat-eating family that veganism is wonderful. =)))

In other news, I'm thinking of getting a tattoo saying 'vegan' of course, not yet - I've only been vegan for a mere 4 months so it could still all fall apart at any given time (although after dreaming I ate sausages last night and throwing up for about 2 hours after, It's not looking as thought it will)... but I will be waiting until I've been vegan for just over a year.

I've always said I'd never get a tattoo because I'd regret it in years to come... and I never really saw the point to be completely honest. I now kind of think it'll make a final commitment and say YEAH I'M ACTUALLY VEGAN and then I couldn't really be seen in KFC in 4 years when I've given in to a craving sporting 'VEGAN' on my wrist.

I just read on article, however, on the amount of tattoo inks that are actually vegan. Especially black, which is apparently made by burning down animal bones to charcoal...or something. There are some companies which produce vegan ink..but finding somewhere that does may be a little tricky. Especially as the people in those kinds of places look as though they would eat you if you blinked wrong.

Anyway, some designs that I'm thinking about.
There's just the plain block capital letters:

A little nicer than those though, and the other way around I think.

This could be cool also, but smaller, and on my wrist:



And I 'love' the font of this.... just it it were horizontal, and smaller. =)


Oooh, I really like this one which i just found - Just the Vegan Soc logo without the flower. I liiike.


Hmmm, I think I'll leave it at that, and ponder what design i'd like - I may have changed my mind in a year though.... probably, knowing me.

Have fun.

No comments: